May 22nd, 2008
Killer spared from death hours before execution
(Reuters) - The parole board in the state of Georgia spared a convicted killer from execution hours before he was due to die by lethal injection on Thursday and commuted his sentence to life in prison.
The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles made its decision less than three hours before Samuel David Crowe, 47, was to be executed, according to a spokeswoman for the state’s prisons.
“After careful and exhaustive consideration of the requests, the board voted to grant clemency. The board voted to commute the sentence to life without parole,” the parole board said.
Crowe’s death would have marked the third execution since the U.S. Supreme Court lifted an unofficial moratorium on the death penalty last month.
Crowe was not present at the parole board hearing in Atlanta. He had already eaten his last meal and was preparing to enter the execution chamber at the prison in Jackson, Georgia, Mallie McCord of the Georgia Department of Corrections said.
In March 1988, Crowe killed store manager Joseph Pala during a robbery at the lumber company in Douglas County, west of Atlanta. Crowe, who had previously worked at the store, shot Pala three times with a pistol, beat him with a crowbar and a pot of paint.
Crowe pleaded guilty to armed robbery and murder and was sentenced to death the following year.
“David (Crowe) takes full responsibility for his crime and experiences profound remorse,” according to Georgians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, an advocacy group, who welcomed the board’s decision.
At Thursday’s hearing, his lawyers presented a dossier of evidence attesting to his remorse and good behavior in jail, according to local media reports. The lawyers also said he was suffering from withdrawal symptoms from a cocaine addiction at the time of the crime.
The U.S. Supreme Court on April 16 rejected a challenge to the three-drug cocktail used in most U.S. executions, which opponents claimed inflicted unnecessary pain. Georgia then conducted an execution on May 5.
Georgia has executed 41 men since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1973 and this week it had 109 prisoners on death row.
For a point of comparison.
And an interesting (and completely unsurprising) point of comparison it is.
So he got a stay not because there was doubt he shot is co-worker with a gun and beat the shit out of him with a crowbar and a bucket of paint, but because he was a good boy in jail and was high when he committed the crime.
this is just too much
- brilliantlysubdued likes this
- becomingh-i-m reblogged this from lesshumansmorecats
- delineatingkaj reblogged this from so-treu
- groan-ups likes this
- formerly-fyna likes this
- octowolves likes this
- miniar reblogged this from gerutha
- satchmointergalactic likes this
- crunkfeministcollective reblogged this from so-treu
- soderberghing reblogged this from jadelyn
- ohnaitoinfinity likes this
- beyoncaa likes this
- gassnake likes this
- anotherword likes this
- hyperbolic-time-chamber reblogged this from blacksharks
- blacksharks reblogged this from jooky
- jooky reblogged this from custerdiedforyoursins
- jooky likes this
- evenwithnougat likes this
- sweeneybird reblogged this from seanbonner and added:
- anindiscriminatecollection reblogged this from anotsosadsong
- justlisten-m reblogged this from always-tete
- falanarx likes this
- curmudgeonlaine likes this
- queersatyagraha reblogged this from chupnaraho
- butt-doctor likes this
- the-art-of-discord reblogged this from tinydragongina
- daisyfuck reblogged this from 40ozinthefridge
- daisyfuck likes this
- mattymagro likes this
- leaf-stone likes this
- 40ozinthefridge reblogged this from pedaltothecrustmetal
- gerutha reblogged this from rollingsreliable and added:
- paige2page reblogged this from beautifulscholar
- cabbagesk1ngs likes this
- sillydrunk reblogged this from seanbonner
- dis-biitch likes this
- amillionparachutes reblogged this from rematiration and added:
- renar reblogged this from robot-heart-politics
- goddessvicky reblogged this from sanityscraps
- majere636 reblogged this from panasonicyouth
- moofybby reblogged this from itsrickonbitch
- moofybby likes this
- always-tete reblogged this from delladilly
- moscowbear likes this
- cardsforpain likes this
- rottenkandee reblogged this from photopoetics and added:
- flow-ers7 reblogged this from lauragreenbeanzz
- stheno reblogged this from panasonicyouth
- causeicraft likes this