Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
I WANT THIS
- noxsolia reblogged this from jonndeww
- noxsolia likes this
- goldenslumbr reblogged this from cloveglee
- holyharam reblogged this from bmoburns
- holyharam likes this
- iamdoingfine likes this
- bmoburns reblogged this from panchromaticrhythm
- hei-senpai reblogged this from broconutstrider
- tylerarce reblogged this from queef-stew
- kennethkho reblogged this from justrelaxandchill
- greygal likes this
- smugdadaist reblogged this from b-side-tothisawkward-life
- leftwriting reblogged this from boathouserow
- b-side-tothisawkward-life reblogged this from mindeezy
- peruvianz likes this
- looktowardsthesun likes this
- minjagiyaho likes this
- brightadventures reblogged this from godisinthedetail
- liquid-crimson likes this
- imagoonie reblogged this from mr-noplace
- omgtoni reblogged this from ryaninwonderland and added:
- treeofexposure reblogged this from melteddali
- vi0lentvicky reblogged this from jtangster and added:
- ask-crealandfriends reblogged this from generalmuzzleflash and added:
- dan-anthony likes this
- yoursyn likes this
- yoursyn reblogged this from yashkaboom
- worthasmile reblogged this from callmekirstie
- shaniabuscus reblogged this from oh-woah and added:
- vi0lentvicky likes this
- thestrongestman reblogged this from courtneycrawford
- enochnpugh reblogged this from downthereandbackagain
- alicefrishman reblogged this from so-not-ch4nel
- beyond-comparison2ne1 reblogged this from leslieroomel
- beyond-comparison2ne1 likes this
- franeurysm likes this
- killahbee1017 likes this
- writedownthelane reblogged this from kiyewl
- siqqcollegebro reblogged this from beatlette85
- yashkaboom reblogged this from dianna-gaygronsky
- sasstier reblogged this from broconutstrider
- merlinhighwarlockofpanem reblogged this from firstranger
- mr-noplace reblogged this from 409inhiscoffee-maker
- merlinhighwarlockofpanem likes this
- intellectualtheft likes this
- jtangster reblogged this from penissauce
- jtangster likes this
- josephdaramirez reblogged this from sodarlingdontwakemeup
- bluerightankle likes this
- jrseau24 likes this